Feature request mediapreview: SWF support

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
ruudboek

Feature request mediapreview: SWF support

Post by ruudboek »

Currently there is only one utility that can generate windows explorer thumbnails/previews for .swf files and that is "swf live preview".
Unfortunately Windows Vista/Windows 7 is no longer supported. In fact it hasn't been updated since 2005.
So therefore i would like to request to also support swf files.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Feature request mediapreview: SWF support

Post by BabelSoft »

I'll see if I can add swf. I don't promise anything though.
Actually, another user already asked for Media Preview to support vectorial image formats, swf being in his list. But it'll probably take a while before I can implement anything as I'm in the middle of moving to my new appartment and I'll be in vacation in August.
ruudboek

Post by ruudboek »

Well i am quite looking forward to that, but no hurries, moving to another apartment can be quite stressful i know :roll:
Just another question, why is mediapreview not free for use in a commercial company? I know many other similar applications are.
Would be great if i could use it in the office as well.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Let me clarify the licence: the personal use of Media Preview is free for everybody and whatever the location, as long as it is for personal use. So you can use it freely on your desktop at home or at work.
However, you can't sell it along another software or use it for commercial purpose for free. For these purposes, you'll have to pay licencing fees.
I developped this software on my personal time with quality in mind, so I expect people that can get some profits using it to share a part of their profits with me. It's fair enough I think :)
kirbyhi5

Post by kirbyhi5 »

I would also love to have swf support. I've been searching for swf thumbnail support for ages but never found anything except swf live preview which doesn't work on win7 64-bit. I'd give you a giant hug if you managed to add this in, good luck!
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I'm quite on a roll lately! After enabling Windows 8 support, here is SWF file format support as well!
Try it with the latest beta available there, manually uninstall any other beta versions before installing this one:
http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/MediaPrevi ... .beta5.msi
http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/MediaPrevi ... .beta5.msi

Known bugs for SWF support are the following:
- doesn't work on Win XP yet, so disable swf for this OS!
- only tested with Flash 11 installed, but should work with Flash 9+
- original aspect ratio isn't respected
- from the 4 parameters (luminance, entropy, quality, position), only position is taken into account for now
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

A new beta is available that fixes SWF support for Win XP and brings back MP4/WMV/ASF support for Win XP.
http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/MediaPrevi ... .beta6.msi
http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/MediaPrevi ... .beta6.msi

Known remaining bugs:
- SWF is only tested and guaranteed with Flash Player 11 installed.
- SWF video original aspect ratios aren't respected.
- from the 4 parameters (luminance, entropy, quality, position), only position is taken into account for SWF for now.
- WinXP only: [Test and Cache] "output to file" choice doesn't work yet.
ruudboek

Post by ruudboek »

Well i have tried it. It doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe the specific swf i am using doesn't work with mediapreview.
Please find attached the .swf file i tested with.

I work with windows 7 64-bit.
Attachments
blinds_horizontal_fast.zip
(7.12 KiB) Downloaded 1279 times
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I also have Windows 7 64-bit and here it's working without any issue.
See below what I get.
blinds_horizontal_fast.png
blinds_horizontal_fast.png (6.24 KiB) Viewed 43576 times
To have SWF support, you must install Flash Player v11+, in your case the 64-bit version. But in your case, the Flash installer should detect automatically what version to install. I think I'll add some checks in the config tool to detect if SWF support can be enabled or not, otherwise it'll give a link to the Flash Player updater.
ruudboek

Post by ruudboek »

Ok, i have installed flash and then tested in windows explorer.
The sample i sent you looks ok now, but most .swf files that i have show a black or light grey thumbnail with a very small vertical bar on the left size or at the bottom that contains some color.

I also use a 32-bit application called cubicexplorer on my Windows 7 64-bit and it shows me no thumbnail preview what so ever.