PPM (Netpbm) text format

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
omniplex

PPM (Netpbm) text format

Post by omniplex »

Hi, I use Media Preview together with XnView, because XnView as image viewer is somewhat limited wrt thumbnails for videos. And I also use FFmpeg, so in essence almost anything FFmpeg (2015) can handle is also supported by Media Review (2014). One minor nit or oddity: XnView can open lots of image formats, its shell extension supports lots of image formats (but not exactly the same set for unknown reasons), and it can handle thumbnails for lots of image formats (the smallest of the three sets :D)

I've added some missing image formats manually to Media Preview: .dpx .jls .pcx .pam .pbm .pgm .pnm .ppm .sgi .xbm, this works like a charm. However, it works only for the binary Netpbm formats (P4, P5, P6, and P7=PAM), not the text formats P1 (PBM), P2 (PGM), and P3 (PPM). This is of course not important, but if it takes you less than five minutes (really, including test + documentation) please add it.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: PPM (Netpbm) text format

Post by BabelSoft »

Hi, thanks for your interest in Media Preview.
I won't add a separate support for those Netpbm text formats. I've added the most commonly used image formats to Media Preview because even specialized shell extensions sometimes badly support those formats (particularly when it comes to transparency management). But there are so many image formats, it's not even manageable to support everything. It's better to let image focused solutions to handle them.