New Development in 2015?

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
Awesome Donkey

Re: New Development in 2015?

Post by Awesome Donkey »

I'd rather use Media Preview over Icaros, IMO.
Dolmatov

Post by Dolmatov »

This software has some advantages (no need .net module, a wide range of display options, generation of the sketch to a file), but it took almost two years and during that time, another project has grown considerably. In it there is better integration into the OS, support for languages other moments (test build).
Ascetic appearance of the product and the lack of a simple mode - to support and enable all - could alienate fans of the Quick Setup (set and forget).
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

If by better integration, you mean that Icaros can also display video metrics in the status bar while Media Preview can't, sure then Icaros has a edge over Media Preview. But this is a functionality I don't really care about, that's why I never brought myself up to the task of adding this.
Better looking UI is really not important for applications like Icaros/Media Preview as this is something you set up only once and then forget. I certainly don't feel the need to change the UI.
Anyway, I don't want to become the copy-cat here by bringing in video metrics display, and I don't want to do R&D for Sharks people to get my work and claim this as their own for free.
zonetrooperex

Re: New Development in 2016?

Post by zonetrooperex »

After doing some research and trying out Icaros and some codec packs I've come to some conclusions:

* Stick with Media Preview for video thumbnail generation
* Use 3rd party video player: MPC-HC or VLC Player
* Don't use codec packs as they are finicky and install PUPs by default (unwanted bundled software)
* If using MPC-HC, also install MadVR (for GPU accelerated rendering)

Seeing Media Preview 1.5 in 2016 would be really welcomed :D