FOR WINDOWS 10?

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
npiccio

FOR WINDOWS 10?

Post by npiccio »

Hello and sorry for my bad English, I use google translator :D

Media Preview works for windows 10?
Because I installed it on windows 7 and it works, while on windows 10, with the same configuration does not work.

Can you help me? Thank you!
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: FOR WINDOWS 10?

Post by BabelSoft »

Hi, it should work on Windows 10. I've recently migrated to Windows 10 this Summer and Media Preview is working well here.
On what kind of files doesn't it generate thumbnails? If you can isolate one video file having this issue and send it to me, it would be even better.
npiccio

Post by npiccio »

It Is Present indiscriminately on all types of file.
What do you mean with isolating the video?
npiccio

Post by npiccio »

I solved moving individually each video in the "target area".
A bit uncomfortable but functioning ;)
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Really weird, you shouldn't need to use the target area. It means that, maybe, Media Preview is blocked on an invalid video file or a file using a very recent codec as VP9 and thus spends a lot of time trying to generate a thumbnail on this particular file before moving on to the others. By "isolating", I meant find a file with the issue and send it to me. But if it seems like every file has the issue, then try to move a few video files to another folder and see if Media Preview still don't generate anything. If it then works in the original folder or in the new folder, it means that the blocking file is in the folder where you still can't see thumbnails.

I probably need to update Media Preview with up-to-date codecs to better handle recent codecs that are more and more widespread...
Drakonas

Post by Drakonas »

Any update on this?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Do you have any issue with Windows 10 as well? Can you describe further what's wrong?
Drakonas

Post by Drakonas »

BabelSoft wrote:Do you have any issue with Windows 10 as well? Can you describe further what's wrong?
I guess I didn't feel comfortable using something like this when someone had an issue. I was just wondering if people were still having problems. I've had bad experiences with implementing UI and thumbnail changes in windows that were irreversible. (I will never install VisualStyle DLL replacers ever again)
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Windows 10 isn't the issue.
But you may get some issues if you have some videos encoded with VP9 or HEVC --> Media Preview may loop for a very long time on those videos. But in practice, there are very few videos encoded with those recent codecs in the wild.
Drakonas

Post by Drakonas »

BabelSoft wrote:Windows 10 isn't the issue.
But you may get some issues if you have some videos encoded with VP9 or HEVC --> Media Preview may loop for a very long time on those videos. But in practice, there are very few videos encoded with those recent codecs in the wild.
Thank you for the info then. I'll give this a try.