Failed to change Settings

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Failed to change Settings

Post by BabelSoft »

Hi Epamitut,

I don't have enough information to see what can be wrong with your system. But it's perhaps because you don't have the admin rights on your system. You must have the admin rights on your system to be able to use the conf tool, as the tool modifies the system registry on the fly.
If it's still doesn't work, you can try to upgrade to WinXP SP3.

On WinXP, the design of the thumbnails are pretty simple because this is the way they've been designed. Only since WinVista+, thumbnails get a nice frame. This isn't managed by Media Preview but by the OS itself. So if you want something better looking, simply migrate to a newer version of Windows.

Cheers!
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

No, Media Preview doesn't need anything apart from the C runtime, which is installed along the application. If thumbnailing is working, it means your system already got it.

This error is indeed only displayed when the config tool had some issues while saving to the registry. But well, there really isn't enough information for me to do anything.
It would be useful if I could access your system to do some checks... Well, I'll try to come up with a small utility that should give me more information on what's going wrong. I'll post it here later.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Epamitut, please dowload and launch the attached RegTester, then click on the OK button.
It should display a message box with some relevant pieces of information for me. Send me back a screenshot of it, I'll see what I can do.
Attachments
MediaPreviewRegTester.zip
(63.64 KiB) Downloaded 1329 times
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

My bad... Please download and install this before : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/co ... px?id=8328
Then try to launch the tester again.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Well, it just means that you're using the conf tool with an account that doesn't have the right to write to the registry.
But I don't understand how your system can be configured this way despite being under WinXP... You need to be under an account with admin priviledges.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

The thing is it's system related issue, so I cannot do anything about this.
You can try to follow the instructions on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
It's a troubleshooting page for when you get errors while installing WinXP SP3 but the symptoms are the same as what you currently get. So hopefully, this page will help you fix the issue.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

It should work with XP SP2 as well. But I actually never tested with SP2, only with SP3.
The thing is that I compile Media Preview with Visual Studio 2010 SP1, and Microsoft declared that this should support Windows XP SP2+.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

What version of Media Preview are you trying to install?
Is it the exact same error after trying to apply setting modifications?
Can you try to launch the MediaPreviewRegTester.exe again and then report what it says?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

It's really weird...
Can you give me what version of CCleaner you're running and also what antivirus/antispyware you have and which version? Maybe one of your maintenance applications is blocking Media Preview from modifying the registry.

On your side, you can try to unplug your Internet connexion (for safety), disable your antivirus/antispyware, and then try again to change Media Preview settings. If it works, then your antivirus is blocking MP.
If it still doesn't work, then try to follow the "Reset the registry and the file permissions" section @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377. Then try to change MP settings. If it works, then one of your app is overprotecting your registry by changing the write permissions on it.