Media Preview is not always finding thumbnails !

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
brettpeake5000

Media Preview is not always finding thumbnails !

Post by brettpeake5000 »

Despite its claims, media preview is STILL not finding the thumbnails for about 30% of my video files of all types! I am very disappointed as i was expecting it to work better than the useless thumbnails windows have. common files such as flash and mp4 are sometimes not being found with media preview, but also some mkv and wmv.

Pressing the 'fix thumnails type settings' button does nothing, it says 'every format currently associated with media preview is set' ... but they aren't!

Using the 'target zone' cached thumbnail option also has no effect!

I am using windows 7 on an acer netbook. What else can i try to ensure i get 100% thumbnails? please give detailed explanation.

thank you

------- merged from another thread --------
mp4 1080p thumbnails not being found.

i have a problem with mp4 1080p movie file thumbnails not being found!

Testing the cache has no effect.

here is the file format codec info for you to test:
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 84.0 MiB
Duration : 3mn 26s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 3 417 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-04-12 12:02:39
Tagged date : UTC 2013-04-12 12:02:39
gsst : 0
gstd : 206425
gssd : B4A7DD801MH1377673279327830
gshh : r1---sn-cg07luee.c.youtube.com

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=48
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 3mn 26s

------- merged from another thread --------

Why Are Thumbnails So Slow To Generate?

Why are any thumbnails that ARE found so incredibly slow to generate with media preview. While windows leaves many thumbnails neglected, it was at least much faster.

I have about 200 movie files and 100 picture/document on my pc which has 200 gb of space left. What is the best way to set the cache with media preview to ensure that all thumbnails are found quickly?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Media Preview is not always finding thumbnails !

Post by BabelSoft »

Hi brett, thanks for trying Media Preview.
I understand that you're not happy about not getting what you expect. But you didn't have to use this condescending tone and spam the forum with several threads instead of summing up everything into a single thread... So I've allowed myself to put your 3 threads altogether, this way it's easier for me to answer.

1/ You're the 1st to report such a huge failing ratio. But what you mean by not finding thumbnails? You get the default icons instead of thumbnails or black/white thumbnails?
What version of Media Preview are you using?
2/ About your 1080p mp4, what's the difference with what you describe in your 1st post? Can you send the file to me so I can test the issue and fix it?
3/ Thumbs are kind of slow to generate the 1st time you browse to a file, it's a tradeoff between quality and speed, but then thumbs are put into your system cache. If you want Media Preview to be faster during generation, simply change the settings with the config tool: the "Setting" tab enables you to set Media Preview in Speed mode. If you want quality and speed, a workaround is simply to let Media Preview in quality mode, go to the "Testing and Cache" tab and click on "Fill Up Thumbnail Cache". This will search for every media files on your local hard disks, generate and cache corresponding thumbnails.
brettpeake5000

Post by brettpeake5000 »

1. i only get the default icons for thumbnails - eg orange flower for jpeg pics, hot air balloons for movie files.
1. 1.3.1.343
2. cannot send mp4 hd file, tried to, but it wont upload on this forum.
3. attempted fill up cache ... but it is taking many, many days. will this solve the problem and show all thumnails when it is complete?

since posting last message my situation with media preview has become much worse, many picture, rar, and cbr, thumbnails are now gone. if filling the cache does not work, i see no other option than to uninstall the program, unless there is an option you can help with that i have not explored, as there are many issues that need to be addressed in future versions of the program. at the moment it is impractical for my pc.
brettpeake5000

Post by brettpeake5000 »

[attachment=0]3.1193401127.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
here is an example of a jpg file that will not thumbnail
here is an example of a jpg file that will not thumbnail
3.1193401127.jpg (7.8 KiB) Viewed 23189 times
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

1. It's weird that your issue also impacts your image rar and cbr files, because the version you use only handle video files. My guess is that another program has put a mess on your Windows registry, or Media Preview and another program has clashed altogether.
2. 80 MB is too big for the forum, can you try to upload it on a sharing service like dropbox or skydrive?
3. it won't solve your problem as it seems like the issue is not related to Media Preview. Anyway, it shouldn't take very long if you only have 200 movie files. I got a hard drive filled with about 8,000 video files, with which I does all my testing, and it's not that slow...

Then, can you list here what other applications you got that can generate thumbnails?
Can you also try to open MPConf tool, uncheck every video formats, click on Apply, re-check video formats you want MP to support, re-click on Apply,and then check if thumbs for video files are generated again?
If it still doesn't work, then I need to see what's happening to your Windows registry. You'll need to export and send me your HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT subtree so I can try to diagnose what's going wrong there. Please send it to me by email (cyrilapan /at /yahoo /dot /fr). You probably don't want to let your private information be available to everybody on the web ;)