Missing Titles

Here's the place to discuss anything about Negatron or MAME in English.
BradYonder

Missing Titles

Post by BradYonder »

Hello,

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 and was re-installing all of my apps. When I got to Negatron and got everything set up, it looked like I was missing quite a lot of titles from the list, and some weird things were happening.

MAME version: 0.197

1) Starting fresh with the default view (tree view?), I'm seeing Descriptions "005" through "Mephisto Almeria 68020" (Names "005" through "alm32"). There does not appear to be a sort order, because the items both under Description and Name have items out of sorts.

2) I can change the sort criteria to sort by Name (ascending) and it sorts properly, but changing the sort criteria back to Description shows titles not in order; and still, not showing everything.

3) If I switch the view to table view and try to adjust the sorting criteria, nothing seems to happen; furthermore, if I click on "table" view a second time, the focus of the button switches back to tree view. (This doesn't seem to happen when switching between "Collapse All" and "Expand All" in tree view: the button focus stays where it is if you click on the button more than once)

I've double-checked the folders to make sure that the program is looking for MAME where it is supposed to be. I also have the latest version of Java Runtime and VLC (x64) installed. But the button/views issues I'm finding notwithstanding, I'm still not seeing a complete list of titles.

Is there some other configuration I'm overlooking?

Thank you in advance
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Missing Titles

Post by BabelSoft »

Yes, I discovered this bug last week.
It's because, since MAME v0.191, a new screen rendering has been introduced. As Negatron doesn't recognise it, it partially crashes when encountering the first game of the list using this new rendering. That's why you get an incomplete machine list...

It's already fixed in my local version. I should upload a new interim official version soon. After this, I'll release a real full version to properly handle the new way to manage softlist since MAME v0.186+.
BradYonder

Post by BradYonder »

Thank you in advance!
BradYonder

Post by BradYonder »

Wanted to follow-up on this as a new version of MAME was released last week...
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

It's been fixed in the last beta available at http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/Negatron-beta.7z.
Simply override the content of this beta over the last official release to test it.

There are still some bugs related to MAME 0.186+ that I'm currently fixing. There should be a new official release in 1-2 weeks as the most critical bugs have been taken care of. As MAME since v0.186 doesn't provide enough information to 3rd party front-ends to properly manage everything and as the MAME dev team confirmed that this situation will remain as-is for still quite some time, I'll also release in parallel my own MAME derivative, called NegaMAME.

NegaMAME only adds a new command line options that Negatron can call to fetch missing information from regular MAME commands. Besides this, there won't be any changes from regular MAME.

Negatron will still work with regular MAME but will show issues with computers having their machine configuration panes filled with dynamic parameters. It may also impact some consoles: for instance, without NegaMAME, the Mega Drive won't show a 2nd cartridge slot when selecting Sonic & Knuckles from the software list, normally allowing you to then put Sonic 3 into this 2nd slot to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. But If you only play arcade games and consoles, you shouldn't see any problems even with regular MAME.
BradYonder

Post by BradYonder »

Thank you very much! I've downloaded the beta and I look forward to the announcement of the official release!
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

The new official 0.99.0 has been released :)

If you want to play console or computer games in MAME, I recommend you to use instead my new MAME fork, called NegaMAME. It fixes some issues introduced by MAME v0.186 and that the MAME dev team can't fix right now.