Need some instructions on Negatron - How to list only existing ROMs ?

Here's the place to discuss anything about Negatron or MAME in English.
Agent Smith

Need some instructions on Negatron - How to list only existing ROMs ?

Post by Agent Smith »

Dear folks,

I would like to clarify this doubt: Is there a way for Negatron only show the existing ROMs in the mame roms folder ?

It displays every ROM Mame is capable of emulate, but, that's very distracting, since one has to browse a very big ROM catalog, to find the exsiting ROMs.

How can I do it ? Must be some configuration which is escaping me...

Can someone help me here ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Need some instructions on Negatron - How to list only existing ROMs ?

Post by BabelSoft »

Negatron automatically audits your ROM sets configured for MAME during the first execution, each time you change your MAME version or each time you change something in your ROM sets (you can see this with the blue loading animation on the window bottom right corner).

Once the loading animation disappears, you can filter out every machine for which you don't have the ROM files by clicking on the "More Filters" button (the second"+" button on the top of the left panel). On the filter panel appearing on the right side, go to the 2nd section "Emulation", and on the 2nd line "ROM & CHD Status", uncheck the "Bad" checkbox.

Well, you actually don't have to wait for the audit process to finish to filter out machines without ROMs but they won't get filter out right away as some of them will still be with the status "Unknown" in the meantime.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Thanks Mr. BabelSoft, gonna try it, and will return here and report if it worked or not.

Best regards,
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Oh, well, I did that, but it did not work.

My Mame version is 0.153

Might be that the problem. What do you think ?

Regards,
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

No, the issue isn't this old version of MAME. Negatron should be able to manage it without any fuss.

It's just that actually you can't filter out the non-existing ROM this way. I should have tested this before telling you... What you want to do is a missing feature I can fix by adding a new status "Missing" in the "ROM & CHD Status" section. "Bad" is only for existing ROMs which content aren't what MAME expects to be.
Sorry for misleading you. I'll fix this for the next version of Negatron.

Edit: I already added this missing feature in the latest development version. You can test it by downloading it at http://www.babelsoft.net/bin/Negatron-beta.7z. Take the content of this compressed file to override what you got already installed on your computer.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Ok, gonna do it.

I must say your program is great. We had some GUI's for Mame in the past, but they are all gone now. Yours fills the need for a solid, functional GUI.

Thanks for the quick response.

Best regards,
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Worked great!!!

I had to un tick Status Rom & CHD and Missing and tick only the Good one's status.

Very good, now, waiting for you to release the final version, so I can package it to my Linux distro.

Ok ?

Best regards,
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Thanks for your compliments :)
What's the name of your Linux distro?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

PCLinuxOS, I'm a packager / contributor, from Brazil.

The US site: http://www.pclinuxos.com/

My community site: http://www.pclinuxosbrasil.com.br

There's one thing I would like to ask you: Could you make the confs be in the /home/user folder ???

I mean, if there's more than one user in the system, the confs will be the same for everyone. And, of course, to make it installable, there will be a very dangerous security hole, since its folder attributes will have to be 777, so to write the confs.

Ok ?

Thanks for your quick response, your program rocks.

Regards,
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Ok, I'll see what I can do.
I'm still in the process to modify Negatron so that it can manage software lists as a change in MAME v0.186 currently prevents Negatron to properly handle them. Once this big modification is good to go, it shouldn't be too hard to default Negatron config into /home/user.