Negatron Crash After Clean Install

Here's the place to discuss anything about Negatron or MAME in English.
BradYonder

Negatron Crash After Clean Install

Post by BradYonder »

Today I had the urge to MAME, but ran into a problem: The config file was looking for mame64.exe instead of mame.exe (which was changed a few versions ago), so I did a clean uninstall and removed the negatron.ini file (which doesn't seem to be removed during a removal) and did a fresh install of Negatron, using the "full" version on this website.

After providing the location of MAME and pointing to where the Extras and Multimedia folders were and choosing the default launguage of English (UK), I received the following error message:

2021-05-21 11_29_52-Window.png
2021-05-21 11_29_52-Window.png (85.6 KiB) Viewed 12878 times

Wasn't expecting this after a clean install, although maybe a thorough uninstall didn't take place. I'm a bit confused as to what this means, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I did delete the negatron.ini file and tried again but got the same results, both running regular and as administrator)
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Negatron Crash After Clean Install

Post by BabelSoft »

It looks like its related to your MAME install folder. Negatron does fiddle with mame.ini and plugin.ini so maybe there's something unexpected with those files for Negatron.

1/ you can send me your mame folder, or at least mame.ini and any files called plugin.ini (it seemps like there's a ~plugin.ini~ as well) so I can understand what's Negatron doing wrong with your configuration.
2/ you can remove all those plugin.ini files (~plugin.ini~) from your MAME folder.
BradYonder

Post by BradYonder »

Thank you for the leads. I ended up doing a fresh install of MAME (I tend to just overwrite the files in the same directory each time it updates) and now Negatron loaded without issue.

I'm still attaching the files you requested. The mame.ini.old is what was originally in the MAME directory but upon looking at it, realized there were invalid directories, so I made changes (mame.ini). I also attached plugin.ini but there seemed to be no useful information (for me), hence why I decided on a fresh MAME install.

Interestingly, after the fresh install and I fired up Negatron, it created the plugin.ini file, which I'm guessing it is supposed to do.
Attachments
negatron-req.zip
Files requested
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

There's really nothing wrong with your ini files. Yes, it's normal to get a new plugin.ini. MAME creates it whenever it's not there.
I suppose there was something else wrong with your MAME install.