Windows 8 support plans

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
morbandit

Re: Windows 8 support plans

Post by morbandit »

I specifically created an account just to thank you for this beta release. Everything works perfectly for me! Will gladly donate!

With the "thumbnail adornment" settings off, thumbnails generate super fast - including JPEGs and PNGs. Impressive!
ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

Thank you so much for taking the time to get MediaPreview working in Windows 8!! In the interim I was forced to use [***another thumbnailer soft***] which caused Explorer to crash at least once a day :(

You can definitely expect a donation from me (and hopefully everyone else who has been patiently waiting) once the beta is complete :) In the meantime I'll report any bugs I uncover. Thanks again!
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

ksarnelli, I edited your post to censor the name of the other thumbnailer. It's to avoid indirect advertisement of other applications here as I want the forum to remain neutral and only to be used for Media Preview support. By the way, you can find a more recent beta version in the SWF related thread. Maybe I should create a sticky thread with latest beta version available...

But thanks all for your comments :) It just gives me the motivation to go on delivering the quality that thumbnailing deserves ;)
forever123

Post by forever123 »

thanks very much, the beta4 works perfect on my windows 8 pro x64 :D
muchness

Post by muchness »

Media Preview was my lifesaver on my Win 7 machine (I do a lot of video editing).

Forced into Win 8 by Microsoft, when I got my new editing machine (Sony L series), I wasn't too worried about
MS taking off the Media Center, because it was a bulky pain to use anyhow. Between VLC and Media Preview,
I figured I had it covered.

But none of the versions of MP work on my Win 8 machine. :(

I have tried several, installed and uninstalled. I can drag one clip in the preview test page, and it shows in the side pane
of the test area, but not in my Explorer files as they do on my Win 7 machine. When I force the cache, it stops
at around 900 (out of 3700 or so files).

Media Preview is truly amazing. Not sure how I'm going to work so easily without it. It is a true compliment to
the code creator as to how completely depressed I am about this! Please keep posting suggestions and fixes.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

First of all, are you sure you're using the latest version of MP? It should be v1.3.1, any version before 1.3.x doesn't work on Windows 8.

Then which version of Windows 8 did you got? Click the Windows Explorer tile Picture of the Windows Explorer tile, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. Look at System type.

When you've just installed MP, thumbnails don't get generated automatically? Does it only start when you use the "Fill Up Thumbnail Cache" button with "Force Update" enabled? What kind of file formats do you have? I need a detailed description of the symptoms to determine what could go wrong.