Interested into having MP on other OSes than Windows?

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.

Media Preview only works on Windows OSes, but what if it could run on other OSes?

Windows is quite enough
67%
OS X, please!
17%
Linux, please!
17%
Others (post some comments)!
No votes

Total votes: 6

BabelSoft
Site Admin

Interested into having MP on other OSes than Windows?

Post by BabelSoft »

I got some friends that suggested me to do a version of Media Preview for OS X. While I don't really fancy to do such a version, mainly because I don't have a Mac and Mac are expensive, I'm still interested to see what the current users of Media Preview think about this subject. So here's a poll to see what could be done.
Awesome Donkey

Re: Interested into having MP on other OSes than Windows?

Post by Awesome Donkey »

My vote goes for Linux. :)
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

lol
Actually, I don't know if I'll do anything besides the Windows version finally. It's quite time consuming to develop an app when you already have a full time job.
Another thing that won't make me develop anything for MacOS is that you have to develop nearly everything in Objective-C, a different programming language than what is currently used for Media Preview (C++), so converting and maintaining Media Preview to MacOS would be a headache.

Most of the shells available on Linux allows to develop modules in C or C++, so it would be easier to convert Media Preview to Linux, but Media Preview is just a plugin to a graphical shell and there are so many different graphical shells that I don't know where to begin with... The most popular are probably Gnome and KDE. But then there are all those minor but still great shells. Let me spend some time to think about what's the best for the future of Media Preview. If some people want to suggest something, don't hesitate to share your thoughts ;)
Awesome Donkey

Post by Awesome Donkey »

Honestly, I'd only support the "big three"; GNOME (along with by extension Unity, MATE & Cinnamon), KDE and Xfce. That way, you've got most of the bases covered. Sure, there's LXDE too but I honestly don't know anyone who uses that.