The latest beta thread

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: The latest beta thread

Post by BabelSoft »

@Gruko: I've tested the latest beta with WinXP SP3, and the audio and image tabs are displayed and accessible.
Be sure to uninstall any previous beta and re-install the latest beta by choosing to install the audio and image plugins. If you don't install them, the audio and image tabs will indeed be missing.
Gruko

Post by Gruko »

That's a mystery. :mrgreen:
I've run the setup on a freshly installed virtual XP-sp3 updated by WU service.
The image and audio tabs are missing. :?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

That's weird, can you check if you got ImagePreview.dll and AudioPreview.dll installed in "C:\Program Files\Media Preview"? Is this the regular 32-bit WinXP or the rarely seen 64-bit version?
Gruko

Post by Gruko »

Hi, thanks for your attention.
The dll libraries are installed in the Media Preview folder, and I'm using the 32-bit version of WinXP.
I've installed in the past the beta-4 version of Media Preview, here http://www.babelsoft.net/forum/viewtopi ... 441#p1664ù
This b4 version works fine and the audio and image tabs are correctly displayed.
I hope these informations are enough because I'm not a beta tester but a common user of your great software.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Gruko: I cannot reproduce the bug you're describing. I've installed an original WinXP 32-bit with all the updates till now. The conf tool displays the audio and image tabs as expected.
Can you give me access to your virtual machine? Or send me its virtual drive using sharing sites or a cloud?
Gruko

Post by Gruko »

BabelSoft wrote:Can you give me access to your virtual machine? Or send me its virtual drive using sharing sites or a cloud?
I'm sorry, I can only post the results of my experience.
1) Uninstallation of the stable release of media preview and installation of beta 4 version -> tabs are displayed.

2) Uninstallation of beta 4 release and installation of beta 12 release -> tabs are missing

3) Uninstallation of beta 12, installation of beta 4 and installation of beta 12 without uninstalling the beta 4 version -> the image, audio and video tabs are corrupted.
The static green progress bar changes look by selecting the various tabs, i.e. the green segments have a different location.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

@Gruko: I'm sorry to say that I can't trigger the bug at all on my side...
You say that each time you uninstall any previous version before installing another version. So the issue is not related to any interferences between several versions being installed at the same time (well obviously I don't count the fact that you tried to have b4 and b12 at the same time, something you really shouldn't do).
If I cannot reproduce the bug here, it's probably because your OS setup has something specific. So the only way for me to determine what's going wrong is to get access to your machine in order to perform some tests...
zonetrooperex

Post by zonetrooperex »

2 features I'd love to see added are:

1) "Skip Current" button when filling up the thumbnail cache (to skip problematic files)
2) Any steps to reduce the time taken to generate thumbnails
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

1/ I won't implement a Skip button. Let me explain why:
During the filling up process, Media Preview Conf is continuously soliciting the system to force thumbnail generation for every media file. After the solicitation, the system is managing everything without any feedback, essentially behaving as a black box, so Media Preview Conf cannot directly tamper with the generation process in any way. Obviously, I can do something from the Media Preview plugins but it will be unsafe and sometimes lead to unexpected situations as those plugins are drived by the system in very different ways.
2/ To reduce generation time, you can change the settings (see the 1st tab of Media Preview Conf). You can go the easy way by simply changing the Wizard slider position to Speed, or go the hard way by trying to change each parameter of the Setting tab.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I finally released the official non-beta v1.4.0.404. It's basically the same as beta12 with updated libraries and very minor tweaks.
Gruko: your reported bug may have disappear with this release... no promises though.