Works with .wtv files, but...

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
Scree

Works with .wtv files, but...

Post by Scree »

First of all, Media Preview is great! Vastly superior to the alternative called [***]. Very well done!

Version 1.3.1.343 works well for thumbnailing .wtv recordings from Windows Media Center. However, it does not handle .wtv files that are "protected" very well. It seems to work sometimes for those files, but takes an incredible amount of time and memory usage (maybe partly due to these files being several GB in size), and even then those thumbs don't appear to save anyway.

If there is any way support can be improved for protected .wtv files, that would be fantastic. :)
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Works with .wtv files, but...

Post by BabelSoft »

Thanks for the compliment :) I've censored your post to delete the reference to the other app (now called [***]), I prefer it this way.
I actually started Media Preview after trying [***] and having a Blue Screen Of the Death back in January 2012... As it failed to become the ultimate thumbnailer working anywhere, I just made my own, then decided to share it.

For protected .wtv, I sure can see how to improve Media Preview to handle them better. As they're designed to only work against Windows Media Center, MP probably won't ever be able to produce any thumbnail out of them (need to investigate a bit to be sure), but I can speed up the processing time. The thing is I don't have such files, so I have nothing to test MP with. Moreover, I never used WMC, so I don't know how to get protected .wtv files. Can you tell me where/how I can find some for free? Or maybe you can send me some?