Thumbnail cache keeps clearing

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnail cache keeps clearing

Post by BabelSoft »

It should work with the final 8.1, although I didn't do any serious testing on it yet.
But it's quite weird that you don't get anything for mkv. Can you open regedit, export the registry key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.mkv", and send the resulting .reg file to me?
I'll do some testing later on my side on the final Windows 8.1 to see if I can reproduce the slowness you experience.
theoneofgod

Post by theoneofgod »

I had to revert back to Windows 8. Was having issues with my integrated graphics. It wasn't just mkv that wasn't being displayed, there were no thumbnails for any of my video files. You could see the green progress bar in explorer like it was doing something. It was Windows 8.1 RTM by the way.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

I just make some test with beta5. And actually it doesn't work with Windows 7 too.
Before releasing this beta, I've updated FFmpeg to the latest version without doing any testing. And actually, FFmpeg changed in a way that isn't compatible with how Media Preview is handling video files.
I've deleted the link to beta5. Please use beta4 or the latest official version during the time I need to update the thumbnail engine to conform to the ways of the latest version of FFmpeg.

Update: actually FFmpeg is good, it's just that I forgot to remove some debugging code that is messing everything up... I should put up a fixed beta soon
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

If you tried with beta5, please uninstall it and try with beta6 instead. I forgot to remove some debugging code that was messing everything in beta5... Sorry for that
theoneofgod

Post by theoneofgod »

Thanks for the update. Beta6 is working great now on Windows 8.
kaspano

Post by kaspano »

I have the same problem with thumbnails being gone after a couple of reboots. I have win7 64 bit version. i use version 1.3.1.343 of media preview. I go to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer and I can see the cache files still exist.

What should I do ?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Actually, on any version of Windows, the thumb cache can get wiped out for various reasons like when the cache size get past a certain size limit.
It is more noticeable on vanilla Windows 8 because the requested thumb size is often 1024 * 1024 while in Windows 7 and below it's usually of about 96 * 96. So in Windows 8, the cache grows really fast and get wiped out as fast as it gets filled...

There is really nothing to be done about this issue as it's a Windows closed-system mechanism that cannot be tampered with.

After eventually releasing the next final version (hopefully in 1-2 weeks), I should see what can be done to alleviate this recurring issue. I'll post a poll to see how priorities should be set, but the 1st requested feature would probably be a way to resolve system cache issues :)
theoneofgod

Post by theoneofgod »

As stated by BabelSoft earlier in the thread, for anyone suffering with this issue, you should set Media Preview to "Speed" on the wizard page. It doesn't appear worse quality, but thumbnails are loaded much quicker.
kaspano

Post by kaspano »

Babelsoft, has this thumbnail cache problem being solved with the latest version 1.4 ? I mean that the thumbnail cache is not getting cleared anymore after a couple of reboots with the newest version .
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

No, it didn't get solved at all. It's just that thumbnail generation has been optimized so that the cache won't get flushed as often as before.