MKV files are without "video reel"

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
azot

MKV files are without "video reel"

Post by azot »

Hi, I have Windows 7 Home Premium and different types of video files: avi, wmv, mp4, 3gp, mkv. The "video reel" option worked on everything except mkv files. I tested this with latest beta and latest stable versions with same result. Anyone can confirm this?
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: MKV files are without "video reel"

Post by BabelSoft »

Which video player do you use ? Normally, it should automatically register .mkv files as video files.
To fix this, you can try this on the latest beta:
- open Media Preview Configuration
- go to the tab Video Formats
- if .mkv is not checked, check it and click on Apply
- go to the tab Advanced
- in the Thumbnail Adornment / Video section, select Video Reel in the Border Style combobox
- click on Apply
azot

Post by azot »

I use PotPlayer x64, every setting of Media Preview is correct, but the reel is not there(for mkv extension).

EDIT: The other feature from Media Preview - associated program icon in bottom right corner is there but the reel is not.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

PotPlayer doesn't register anything at all. That's why you don't get the video reel effect on mkv. The other file types are natively recognized by Windows so you only have the issue with mkv files.

I'll include a last minute patch before Media Preview next final release to avoid this kind of issue. In the meantime, do this:
1/ download the attached reg file,
2/ double click on it,
3/ when prompted, choose yes,
4/ reboot your machine.
Attachments
mkv.reg
(188 Bytes) Downloaded 1075 times
azot

Post by azot »

Thank you very much.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

You're welcome :)
But I completely forgot that there's already the button "Fix Thumbnail Type Settings " in the Advanced tab, which is there to fix this kind of issues.
The next time you get the issue for another video file format, simply click on this button.