Media preview doesn't work with MOV 1080p

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
High Definition

Media preview doesn't work with MOV 1080p

Post by High Definition »

Dear BabelSoft, i find your program really useful. It also works fine.
But, having a lot of HD 1080p videos in MOV format, i noticed that Media Preview does not succeed on updating related thumbmails. Strangely it seems working with the same format (MOV) 720p instead, though my computer is a Quadcore - 16 Mb RAM - Nvidia 550Ti. I keep my comp. always up to date with latest version of software (visual, framework, directx etc).
How can it happens?
Yet the function "fill up thumbnail cache" worked fine with 1080p too (though the job requested mpre than an hour).
Moving a MOV 1080p thumbnail on the "target area" Media Preview hangs and seems not working anymore... I tried to wait several minutes, restarting windows... But nothing to do! My thumbnail is always there, and did no update.
To be accurate i'll say that sometimes it works, but less than a time every ten.
It's a pity because, by Media Preview, now i have the most beautiful thubnail i ever had!
Thank you, best regards and please forgive my bad English.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Media preview doesn't work with MOV 1080p

Post by BabelSoft »

Hi HiDef,

Thanks for your support :)
The "Fill up thumb cache" function takes a long time because it's updating your whole computer at once, and processing FHD content sure takes a longer time than processing low res content.
Media Preview is architectured to avoid dependencies, the only one it has is the Microsoft C runtime, installed along Visual Studio, games or indeed Media Preview. The config tool has an added dependency to GDI+, but it's a basic component of Windows since Win XP.

Can you tell me which version of Windows you're running (e.g. Win7 x64)? It seems like you've found a nasty bug of the config tool. Can you also upload one of the problematic MOVs somewhere so I can test myself to see what's wrong?

However, I won't be able to test this right now, as I'm using my work place connection to answer you: I still don't have any Internet connection at my new home...hopefully, it should be fixed at the end of this month.