Corrupt MKV files

Here's the place to discuss anything about Media Preview in English.
stevefal

Corrupt MKV files

Post by stevefal »

I have a large collection of MKV files. I got Media Preview to generate thumbnails for them. Now about half of the files can't be opened. Likewise they no longer have thumbnails. I already tried Meteorite with no success. It crashes.

Any ideas? Is Babelsoft just writing to a Windows thumbnail cache, or is it actually writing to my files? I sure hope this problem is not permanent.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Re: Corrupt MKV files

Post by BabelSoft »

Media Preview certainly doesn't change anything in your video files, it's only reading them then writing to the Windows thumbnail cache.
You should look for another culprit to understand why your MKVs can't be opened anymore: a dying hard disk? a virus? another third-party application changing your files? Defective downloaded files since the beginning? Take your guess but the very design of Media Preview specifically prevents this kind of issues.
theoneofgod

Post by theoneofgod »

This does sound like a faulty drive. Run a tool like CrystalDiskInfo and look for any bad sectors.
stevefal

Post by stevefal »

I'll give that a try. Many of the files have worked for ages. None of them are downloads - all my own rips.

The drive is new, so something may be wrong with it. I see no pattern to the breakdown. Some bad files pre-date migration to the new drive, and some are new rips straight to the drive. That part is disconcerting.
stevefal

Post by stevefal »

CrystalDiskInfo shows nothing unusual. I ran a complete chkdisk as well.

And more suspicious, on a separate drive I have one folder with several similarly unplayable MKVs. So I don't think this is drive-specific, although this second drive is the same model as the first.
stevefal

Post by stevefal »

Solved! Part of the PC's motherboard's driver package was "Intel Rapid Storage Technology". I uninstalled it and all of my "dead" files were playable again. Wow, Intel, thanks for nothing.
BabelSoft
Site Admin

Post by BabelSoft »

Good to know that everything is solved. An excerpt from Intel website:
"Intel® Rapid Storage Technology improves data reliability and delivers greater levels of performance, responsiveness, and expandability"
Yeah, they delivered...